Am a Owner

King Edward Medical University

Region: Lahore Country: Pakistan

About The University
King Edward Medical University was established in 1860. It is one of the oldest medical institution in the South Asia, after Medical College Kolkata (1835) in India. Initially known as Lahore Medical College in 1886. Both the college and the attached hospital (Lahore Dispensary) were small compared to the current size.The first academic building was completed in 1883. The university and the attached hospital was built piece by piece by the funding and efforts of several dedicated people in the coming years.In December 21, 1911, Lahore Medical College was rechristened King Edward Medical College, and was updated to the status of an independent, degree-granting university on May 12, 2005

The original idea for the establishment of a medical college for the undivided Punjab was placed before the Imperial Government in 1857, but shelved because of 'War of Independence', The need was so great that is was decided to make the beginning by establishing a Medical School in 1860. At that time the only other Medical School in Indo-Pakistan Sub-Continent was situated in Calcutta. In August, 1860, Dr. IB. Scriven of the General Hospital in Calcutta was invited to become the Principal of the proposed Lahore Medical School, which was to be the second such Institution in Indo Pakistan Sub-Continent.

Dr. Scriven with Dr. Smith, a Civil Surgeon, conducted the first Matriculation Examination on the 1st of November, 1860 having arrived in Lahore on 10th of October, 1860. The classes were to be held in and English 20 students qualified for the Hindustani class in initial examination while a000nother qualifying examination was held on the 15th November, 1860 allowing 24 more students to qualify for the class thus producing a total of 44 students for the Hindustani class. only 5 students were enrolled for the English Class of which only 2 persisted on the College Rolls after a year; one European, and one Indian, English was not widely known in the province at that time.

In keeping with the modest beginning, the newly created institution was designated as Lahore Medical School and started functioning in Artillery Barracks at the present site of the Government College, with a Hospital located in a foreign stable near the present Tibbi Police station in Taxali Gate, almost a mile away from the college. This arrangement according to Dr. Scriven was most inconvenient and insufficient for the needs of the community. In October, 1860 the hospital had 56 patients.

The only posts sanctioned by the Government in the beginning were those of the Principal , who started teaching Anatomy, Physiology; and a Professor ( Dr. T.E. Burton Brown) who commenced his lectures on Chemistry, Materia Medica and Botany Dr. Smith who had spent several years in the Punjab was put Incharge of the Hindustani Classes and was assisted by Mr. Harrison. Dr. Mohammad Hussain Khan and sub-assistant surgeon Rahim Khan. Dr. Neil , the Garrison Assistant Surgeon in Lahore was appointed as Assistant Professor to teach Anatomy. The school soon gained in popularity which was evidenced by the steady increase in the member of students which rose to 40 by the year 1870 in English Classes and 87 in the Hindustani Classes.

27 students passed the native Doctor's Examination in 1863 and one student by the name of John Andrews passed the Sub Assistant Surgeons examination in 1865. In 1864 15 vacancies had been created for the students from the North Western Frontier Province to make up the deficiencies of the Pushto speaking doctors. The same year, College and the hospital was shifted to Shah Alami Gate, which was nearer to the Civil Hospital in Anarkali and provided more opportunities for the study of the patients and postmortem cases.
One of the main difficulties of the newly created Lahore Medical School was to popularize Western medicine against superstition, quackery and indigenous healing arts in a custom ridden society. This acted as concert with a lack of foresight of a Government unwilling to loosen their money purse strings. However according to the Principal report of 1868 during the 1867 Cholera Epidemic, fresh native doctors were sent to the affected areas and by virtue of their sound training and working habits alleviated the previously severe misery faced by their fellow countrymen and generated good will and acceptance for themselves in the society.

In 1868 the Senate of the University of Dublin granted students of the Lahore Medical School " privilege similar to the granted to students from English Schools" , who have not passed the college of Surgeons of England. This along with the establishment of Gilchrist Scholarships opened up avenues of further studies for Punjabi students.

The Lieutenant Governor of the Punjab, Mr. 0 F. Mcleod in his departing report for 1869-70 expressed his pleasure at the progress of the school and felicitated Dr. Scriven and his team. He hoped that the Government would do its part by providing more staff and money to the school, whose graduates, though considered by some to be somewhat concerted were as proficient as any in rest of India.

The present famous Mayo Hospital building was completed in 1870. It was opened in 1871 and was named after the Earl of Mayo, the then Viceroy. The Architect Purdon designed the building and Roy Bahadur Kanhaya Lal was the Engineer. The new Hospital, building was built in Italian style, double storied, bricked with Delhi stone brackets, a sloped slate roof, ventilating turrets. The new building cost RS. 1.58,951/- with a contribution of RS. 1,00,000/- from the Government of India and RS. 26,697/- from the Lahore Municipality and rest was made up by the Punjab Government. Patients from Anarkali Dispensary shifted in May, 1871 resulting in better patient care and more medico-legal cases for study by the students. Simultaneously the Civil Surgeon was relieved of the task of attending the Anarkali Dispensary except for Police cases. In October, 1871 Earl of Mayo, Viceroy of India visited the Hospital and in memory of his visit the Hospital was named as Mayo Hospital.

Until 1870, the Medical School had been granting its own diplomas to Sub-assistant Surgeons and native doctors. With the opening of the Punjab University College that year, it was. arranged so that the new College would undertake the conduct of examination and granting of University diplomas. The first such examination was held in October, 1871 by Diploma in Medicine. During the next 13 years the Punjab University College awarded diplomas to 145 successful students. It is matter of interest to note that the Medical College has a longer history than the University of the Punjab, and the relationship between the two has always been cordial and cooperative. The College was then as now independent in all affairs in teaching and administration except for conducting examinations.

MESSAGE
After an interesting and thought provoking debate in the house, where Dr. Tahir A. Javed spoke at length about the rich and proud history of his alma mater- the Bill was passed unanimously by the assembly MPA's paving the way for the establishment of King Edward Medical University. The Notification was issued on 7th January 2006 by the orders of the Governor of Punjab.

Through another Notification issued by the Governor of Punjab on 31st January 2006 Prof. Mumtaz Hasan (Sitara-i-lmtiaz) was appointed as acting Vice Chancellor of this second oldest Institute of the subcontinent. This was'a great event leading this institution to a new destination and proving itself to be the best in medical learning and research.

Establishment of such a University was a pressing need of the time by which the level of Medical Education will have a steep rise. Prof. Mumtaz Hasan (Sitara-l-lmtiaz) has keen interest in Medical Education and by his dynamic vision the standard of Medical Education improved and the developmental projects were also started and accomplished. In recognition of his services Sitara-i-lmtiaz has been conferred on him. Prof. Mumtaz Hasan (Sitara-i-lmtiaz) has an outstanding academic record in school, pre medical and medical education. As a Principal King Edward Medical College & Allied Hospitals he has a long list of achievements and his enlighted vision will lead this new born University into an era of learning and motivation.

This period saw a good many development schemes moved ahead, there was up-gradation of emergency and outpatients block. Now the construction of surgical tower has been started, which is nine storey building and will be a kind of its own.

The construction of Nursing School has also started. It will be an outstanding Institute for the undergraduate and postgraduate students. Lecture theatres are being renovated and have been upgraded, fully air-conditioned. The construction of cold storage is in progress in the Department of Forensic Medicine, which will ease the preservation of dead bodies. New furniture and latest equipment is also provided to the basic departments.

Academic side the curricula both for undergraduate and postgraduate have been revised. A Community Medical Education and problem based learning program was devised. Different postgraduate courses have also started. Foreign faculties were also hired under the auspicious of Higher Education Commission (HEC). The HEC has registered this institution for using the resources on PERI system.

HISTORY OF KEMU
The original idea for the establishment of a medical college for the undivided Punjab was placed before the Imperial Government in 1857, but shelved because of 'War of Independence', The need was so great that is was decided to make the beginning by establishing a Medical School in 1860. At that time the only other Medical School in Indo-Pakistan Sub-Continent was situated in Calcutta. In August, 1860, Dr. IB. Scriven of the General Hospital in Calcutta was invited to become the Principal of the proposed Lahore Medical School, which was to be the second such Institution in Indo Pakistan Sub-Continent.

Examination on the 1st of November, 1860 having arrived in Lahore on 10th of October, 1860. The classes were to be held in and English 20 students qualified for the Hindustani class in initial examination while a000nother qualifying examination was held on the 15th November, 1860 allowing 24 more students to qualify for the class thus producing a total of 44 students for the Hindustani class. only 5 students were enrolled for the English Class of which only 2 persisted on the College Rolls after a year; one European, and one Indian, English was not widely known in the province at that time.

In keeping with the modest beginning, the newly created institution was designated as Lahore Medical School and started functioning in Artillery Barracks at the present site of the Government College, with a Hospital located in a foreign stable near the present Tibbi Police station in Taxali Gate, almost a mile away from the college. This arrangement according to Dr. Scriven was most inconvenient and insufficient for the needs of the community. In October, 1860 the hospital had 56 patients.

Video Presentation

KEMU King Edward Medical University

Contact Details


Address: King Edward Medical University, Nelagumbad, Anarkali, Lahore, Pakistan.

Email: kemcol@brain.net.pk

9211145-54

http://www.kemu.edu.pk/

Find Your Degree!

News Letter Subscribe

Subscribe to the subject King Edward Medical University