Ain Shams University, was founded in July 1950, making it the third-oldest non-sectarian native Egyptian university (ancient universities such as and private institutions such as the are older), under the name of " 's University". It with the two earlier universities of this kind, university) and university) had fulfilled the message of universities and meeting the increasing demand of youth for higher education. When it was first established, Ain Shams University comprised a number of distinguished faculties and academic institutes, which were later developed into university.
After the military coup that toppled the monarchy in 23 July 1952, it was suggested that Egyptian universities be given names that were strongly linked with the roots and historical landmarks of the country. Thus on February 21, 1954 the name of the university was changed to "Heliopolis", and then changed in the same year to its present name "Ain Shams", the for "Heliopolis", or "O'n", which was the oldest university in history. "O'n" University was established about 5000 years ago, and it had a wide fame as a center of knowledge and learning, especially in astronomy, engineering and medicine.
Perhaps a perfect example of the knowledge and skill of "O'n" teachers is Imhotep, the chief priest, minister, and architect, who in 2700 B.C. designed the first large structure of stone known in history, Zoser's Step Pyramid in Sakkara. Westcar Papyrus also states that the founder of the Fifth Dynasty was the Rector of "O'n" University before ascending the throne. However, the most important achievement of "O'n" University was the call for worshipping a single deity symbolized by the solar disk of Aton, at the hands of Akhenaton, who was influenced by the ideas of "O'n" priests.
In 1950, there were only eight faculties: faculty of Arts, faculty of law, faculty of Commerce, faculty of Science, faculty of Medicine, faculty of Agriculture, and Women's college. In 1969, the faculty of Education, known since 1880 as Teachers' college, became the ninth faculty in the university. In 1973 the faculty of Al-Alsun was made the tenth member in the university. However, the history of this faculty dates back to 1835.
In 1994, a decree was issued for the establishment of two more faculties; the faculty of Pharmacy and the faculty of Dentistry, the actual study was started the following year in both faculties. In the same year, it was decided to establish the faculty of Computers and Information Sciences, and the study started the following year. The last faculty to join the university is the faculty of Specific Education, in 1998. Faculty of Nursing was established in 1980, and the Institute of Childhood Postgraduates Studies was established in 1981. The establishment of the Institute of Environmental Research and Studies was at 1982. Today, the university's academic structure includes a total of 14 faculties, 1 collage and 2 high institutes plus 12 centers and special Units. 
he of the university, the and two hawks, establishes a link between the name and the ancient history of the university. The obelisk stands for the house of life at the city of "O'n", whereas the two hawks are symbolic the Egyptian God at that time.
Faculty of Medicine
The Faculty of Medicine serves more than 6000 undergraduate students over the 6 years of undergraduate teaching, and more than 1500 post-graduate students (Diplomas, Master of Science in medicine & Medical Doctorate) in various academic and clinical departments. Not only one of the medical schools, but a free (not for profit) hospital serving more than one million patients annually.
Faculty of Dentistry
In addition to the educational role, the Faculty of Dentistry provides dental community services.
Faculty of Nursing
Focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of human responses to actual or potential health problems.
Institute of Psychiatry
A group of faculty and staff dedicated to education and research in care.
Obstetric and gynecology hospital
This hospital was included with the pediatrics hospital in a single building, then was separated in 1963. It is a 7-floored building containing:
Outpatient clinics (Infertility, breast disorders, Oncology, Gynecology, Diabetes in pregnancy, Endocrine disorders, Assisted reproductive techniques, Cardiac disorders in pregnancy, Preterm clinic, Cervical smear clinic, clinics) serving more than 40,000 cases annually from all over Egypt (in 1997).
Inpatient department (580 beds), serving 12,000 deliveries annually and other specialized units (Oncology diagnosis, Fetal ultrasound, Oncology management, Assisted reproductive technology, Urodynamics and laparoscopy units).
Lab and blood bank service available 24 hours daily.
Teaching rooms, library, Obstetrics and Gynecology museum.
Obstetrics and Gynecology intensive care unit (8 beds), Neonatal ICU (36 incubators), 10 delivery rooms and 11 operation rooms.
Occupying the building of the old obstetrics & pediatrics hospital since 1986 (after building the new obestitrics hospital), until completing the new pediatrics hospital (Construction started 2007). The Pediatrics hospital contains:
Accident & Emergency (A & E) department (for Pediatric Medical & Surgical Emergencies)
Inpatient department (more than 200 beds)
Pediatrics Hemodialysis Unit(since 1991) (12 machines) & peritoneal dialysis units
Hematology & Oncology unit (Since 1974) and Bone marrow transplantation unit (since 2005) (located in the Nearby Oncology & Radiotherapy building)
Neonatal & Preterms Intensive Care Unit (since 1995) (19 beds) serving (more than 484 cases annually).
Pediatric Intensive Care Unit: 12 beds with invasive and non-invasive monitoring, mechanical ventilation (invasive, non-invasive and high frequency oscillation).
Pediatric surgery department (since 1995): 19 beds Inpatient department & outpatient clinic .
Diagnostic Radiology unit (Classic radiology, Pediatric echocardiography, Abdominal ultrasound), EEG, Clinical pathology lab, Clinical immunology lab.
Specialized units (Genetics unit, Pediatric Physiotherapy unit)
Pediatric specialized Outpatient clinics (Hematology & Oncology clinic, Pediatric Neurology clinic, Pediatric Cardiology & Pulmonology clinic, Diabetes clinic, Endocrine disorders clinic, Allergy & Immunology clinic, Genetic disorders clinic, Clinical nutrition clinic, Hepatology clinic, Disability & Rehabilitation clinic, Polio & Pediatric Orthopedics clinic and Nephrology clinic)
Immunodeficient isolation unit.
Faculty of Medicine Educational Hospital (internal medicine and surgery) consists of an outpatient clinic and inpatient department. Both have approximately 3200 beds (in 1997), with more than 10,000 staff working in all departments and serving about 2,000,000 patients from all over Egypt annually. It is managed by doctors who are professors of medicine and the other faculty staff in all specializations. The capital of the hospital was estimated to be 6 billion EGP in 1997.
Medical Centers and Outpatient Clinics
Institute of Psychiatry Hospital.
Established in 1987. It contains 100 beds, serving about 1000 patients annually at its emergency service, inpatient departments. In addition to the outpatient clinics (Addiction control, Sleep disorders, Psychosexual disorders, Child Psychiatry and Psychogeriatrics/Memory Clinics) and the laboratories (EEG, Sleep disorders and Clinical pathology & psychoactive drug monitoring labs), the center includes departments for Psychologic assessment, Cognitive therapy, occupational therapy, Electro-convulsive therapy and Biofeedback therapy. The Center contain teaching rooms and a specialized library. It was also chosen by the [World Health Organisation] to be the regional center for collaboration in the Eastern Mediterranean region.
Poison Control Center
The first poison control and toxicology center in Egypt (established 1981). It contains 26 beds and treats about 25,000 patients annually from allover Egypt. It holds an intensive care unit (8 beds) and a medical analysis laboratory including toxicological screening (providing its services 24 hours). It also has a clinical toxins database providing information to many departments. The center contain an anti-toxin bank. The Center was chosen as the Middle-East representative in the World Federation of Poison Control Centers in 1990.
Radiation Oncology & Nuclear Medicine Center
Specialized in diagnosis and treatment of malignant tumors, it contains 28 beds, serving about 19,000 patients annually.
Medical research center
A 4 floored building (Established in 1996) containing 24 labs, 2 Animal labs, an isolation & quarantine room, a library, a microfilm center, Computer lab and lecture room. Formerly was the Bilharizial medical research unit, then was dedicated to all medical research.
Receive around 1000 patients daily in all specializations (General and Special Medicine, General and Special Surgery, Pediatrics, Gynecology and Obstetrics, Blood Diseases, Viral Hepatitis, Endoscopes, Vascular Surgery).
Receive around 500 cases daily and provide 24-hour service.
Ain Shams University Faculty Of Medicine AUSSS SCOPH 2008
Ain Shams University Faculty Of Medicine AUSSS SCOPH 2008
20 (2) 683 0963
Subscribe to the subject Ain Shams University Faculty of Medicine