In 1870, the Maharaja of Vijaynagaram first floated the idea of starting a medical college in Lucknow and offered to donate Rs 3 lacs, but due to paucity of funds this was not passed by the Government and the dream of the Maharaja could not take shape. It was in 1905 that, to commemorate the visit of Prince of Wales to India, the Raja of Jehangirabad and Sir Taussuduq Rasool requested the Raja of Ayodhya to persuade Sir James LaTouche, Lt. Governor of United Provinces (now Uttar Pradesh) to recommend the establishment of the medical college to the Governor of India. This time the Government gave its sanction but with the condition that the people of United Provinces raise a sum of Rs 8 lacs.
The fund raising activities were completed within a few months, notable contributors being Maharaj of Balrampur, Maharaj of Ayodhya, Raja of Jehangirabad, Rana Sheoraj Singh and Nawab Yusuf Ali. The Government of India was then informed of the collection and the Prince of Wales laid the foundation stone on 26th December 1905 on a plot of land donated by UP Government on the bank of River Gomti, where once stood the beautiful Macchi Bhawan. Lt Governor Sir James Latouche took an active part in the planning of this project. Sir Swinton Jacob, the famous architect designed the building in Indo- Saracenic style, so as to blend naturally with the minarets and monuments of this 'nawabi' city.
The medical college was formally opened in October 1911, the year when His Majesty King George V and Queen Mary visited India, by the then Lt. Governor of United Provinces - Sir John Prescott Hewett. Every year since 1916, the 'topper' of the Final Professional Examination is decorated with the 'Hewett Medal' in honor of the man who opened the portals of the college to 'Georgians'.
Dr. K. S. Nigam was the first Hewett medallist of this college. Col. W. Selby was the first Principal and Professor of Surgery and Lt. Col. C. A. Sprawson was the first physician. To start with the total faculty consisted of 5 professors and 2 lecturers. On the advice of the General Medical Council of Great Britain, a framework of admissions and courses of study was organised. Initially, the college was affiliated to the Allahabad University.
The first hospital associated with King George's Medical University was built in 1914, and was called King George Hospital. The funds allocated to the college could hardly be expected to cover the cost of a hospital on a comparable scale. Thus this task was undertaken by the Government of India. The building was again designed by Sir Swinton Jacob after making a spot study of great medical centres in Europe and adapting it the needs of this country.
It was ready in time for the clinical training of the first batch of students in 1914. A 226 bed hospital was formally inaugurated by the Viceroy Lord Harding on the 10th January 1914. In his speech the Viceroy reaffirmed the confident hope of the King Emperor that the college and its apparatus would be the 'best in the East'. To select the hospital equipment, Major Selby spent several months in England, interviewing manufacturers and inspecting their apparatus.
The hospital attached to the King George's Medical University is called the Gandhi Memorial & Associated Hospitals. This hospital complex is spread over an area of 88,000 square meters with a conglomeration of buildings housing various departments and their respective wards. Besides the main or original hospital building which houses the Radiodiagnosis, Radiotherapy, Orthopedic Surgery and ENT Departments and also the offices and surgical wards, there are separate buildings for the Tuberculosis & Chest Diseases, Medicine, Pediatrics, Ophthalmics, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Surgery (General,
Neurosurgery, Plastic Surgery, Pediatric Surgery, Surgical Oncology and Urology), Psychiatry, Geriatric Mental Health, Cardiology, Neurology and Pathology, Rehabilitation & Physical Medicine, Orthopedics and Rheumatology Departments.
Several new departments like Transfusion Medicine, Hospital Administration, Dermatology, Venereology & Leprosy and Clinical Haematology have been created.
There are also separate Outpatients Department and a new Surgical Emergency & Trauma Centre. The total number of beds are 2424 with a bed occupancy rate of 90-100%. The annual outpatient attendance is about 510,000 and the indoor admissions number about 51,000/year. The hospital provides speciality services in all branches of medicine. Patients are attended to and admissions are made round the clock.
Dental Education Overview
The Dental Wing of the King George's Medical University started as a part of the ENT Department in 1949 with Dr. B. Sampat in charge. It shifted to a separate premesis as a Department of Dentistry in 1952. The department made steady progress with constituent sections of different specialities offering comprehensive dental care to patients under the stewardship of Prof.T. N. Chawla who succeeded Dr Sampat. The Dental Department became a full fledged separate faculty in 1980 with the respective sections becoming full fledged departments.
The Faculty of Dental Sciences also made significant contributions in the field of research. A research unit in Periodontology was established under Prof TN Chawla by the Indian Council of Medical Research, New Delhi in 1965. In 1980 Faculty was created with six department independently. Fluoride Study and Oral Prophylaxis Study units were established with PL480 grants. Various other research schemes are also in hand under the Faculty.
In 2002, the King George Medical University was upgraded as a medical university and the Dental College was a constituent college of this new university. However, a year later in late 2003, the dental college was upgraded as a separate university by Chief Minister Mulayam Singh Yadav. The new dental university is the only one of its kind in India and one of only 4 dental universities in the world. Prof CP Govila was appointed as the 1st Vice Chancellor of this new university on 22nd May 2004.
The UP King George's University of Dental Sciences, as it was called was the first such university in the country. However, with the change of government in 2007, the university status was reverted back to the Faculty of Dental Sciences under the King George's Medical University.
The Central Library of the college was established in 1911 next to be Principal Office (now the VC office). The present Central library building was built in 1978 and in 1996 a new block was added. The Covered area of Central Library is 3089 Sq.Mtrs.
With the efforts former Vice Chancellor, Prof. Hari Gautam and Honorary Librarian Prof Madhu Mati Goel, the renovation of the Central Library was started in 2007. Further renovation, extension and automation work is under way.
The Central Library has been nominated as resource Library in 1996 through National Medical Library and finally during 2002 the Central Library got linkage with the National Medical Library under the PILOT PROJECT of the Government of India .
91 522 2257450, 2257451
Subscribe to the subject Chhatrapati Shahuji Maharaj Medical University