The Enugu State University of Science and Technology (ESUT) was founded in 1979 by Chief Jim Nwobodo as the Anambra State University of Science and Technology (ASUTECH) Enugu. It was the first ever state owned university in Nigeria. It was conceived with three campuses at Awka, Abakaliki, and Enugu. It had the first state funded Teaching hospital in Nnewi.
Following the creation of Enugu State in 1991, the University took its present name. A gigantic project by the Government of Enugu state to relocate the University has been underway in recent years. Early in 2006, the permanent site of the University in Ebeano City, with ultramodern facilities, became home to the first group of students and faculty to relocate from its temporary site.However,the hostels are still under construction following the recent transition of government It contains few number of faculties
ESUT offers course of four/five years' duration leading to the award of Bachelor's degree in Agriculture (B.Agric.), Engineering (B.Eng), Urban and Regional Planning (B.URP), B.Sc. in Estate Management, Quantity Surveying and Building, Surveying and Photogrammetry. Other courses of three or four years duration leading to the award of Bachelor of Science degree (B.Sc.) are offered in Applied Natural Sciences, Management Sciences, Social Sciences and in the Department of Architecture, and Geography and Meteorology.
REQUIREMENTS FOR ADMISSION
Requirements for Admission through Joint Admission and Matriculation Examination Board (JAMB)
Applicants who take the University Matriculation Examination (UME) may be admitted into the first year degree course provided that:
- They have completed a full course training in a secondary school or in an approved institution of equivalent status;
- They are normally sixteen years of age or above on the first day of October, in the year of their candidature.
- They reach the appropriate standard in the examination for entry to their degree programme in view;
- They possess one or more of the following qualifications:
- The Senior School Certificate(SSC) or National Examination Council (NECO) or General Certificate of Education (GCE) O level with passes at credit level in at least five subjects obtained in not more than two sittings; SSC/GCE can be combined with NECO.
- The teachers Grade II Certificate with merit / credit in at least five subjects obtained in not more than two sittings.
- Qualifications approved by senate as equivalent to (i) and (ii) above.
It shall the the function of the senate to:
- Approve all university regulations on examinations
- Scheule all official University examinations
- Approve the appointment of exteranal Examiners and lay down conditions for such appointment
- Approve and publish all degree results
- Ensure the maintenance and security of Examination papers and scripts
- Receive reports on recommendations on degree Examination irregularities and misconduct from the senate Examination Commitee for decision / disposal action
- Advice Council on Examination fees
- Award degrees and such other qualifications for the award of Aegrotat degrees
- Make recommendations to council with respect to the award of any honorary degree or the title of professor Emeritus.
It shall be the function of the registrar to:
- Compile and publish, after matricaulatrion a list of registered students.
- Determine the eligibility of candidates for all examinations.
Issue admission to all eligible candidates in respect of final examinations such cards shall contain:
Student matriculation number
Recent passport sized photograohs certified by the Head of Department and duly signed by the faculty officer.
Publish final year result after approval by senate
Complete and publish draft time table for University Examinations at least four weeks before the commencement.
Arrange for the printing and issuance of serially numbered answered Booklets for official University Examinations.
Compile and Publish instructions to invigilators
Publish the names and particulars of all possible graduates at the end of the first semester of the final year.
Compile and publish pass and failure list for final year list of final examinations in a Central Official University notice board.
Issue statement of result and official transcripts to authorize bodied showing grades (not marks) in respect of all the campuses for which students are duly registered during the entire programme in the university
Keep in his/her custody and issue certificates for allall degree, Diploma and Certificates courses passed and approved by senate.
Enugu State University of Science and Technology Degree Programs :
- Mature Students Programme