Am a Owner

Government Medical College, Amritsar

Region: Punjab Country: India

Government Medical College, Amritsar
Initially the Government Medical College, Amritsar was founded in Lahore in 1864. The School continued to perform in the city till 1920. The School was upgraded in 1943 and the foundation stone was laid by Lt. Col. Nawab Khijar Tiwana, on February 1, 1944. The new College offers M.B.B.S. Course to empower the holders to practice medicine and surgery.

After 3 years of establishment, the Punjab state was divided. Dr A.N. Goyal was the first principal. The College and the hospitals were provided medical aid to the refugees. The medical teams under the Lt. Col. B.S. Nat, Medical Superintendent of Victoria Jubilee Hospital provided unparalleled care to the fed up and wounded. The high quality of services delivered by the college despite the scarcity of sources gained it laurels both in India and overseas and supported its premiership.

The Medical College started Postgraduate and diploma courses. Several organizations came ahead to help in the development of the college.

A separate pediatric medical center was set up in 1950. A TB Sanatorium, the Ram Lal Free ENT Hospital and Orthopedics ward were designed with the help of other non-profit Trusts

The Mental Hospital also attached to university campus provides training to learners in the course of psychiatry. The college hostels were built in 1929. The hostel buildings were built on the pattern of Cambridge University. Later, several blocks were included to meet the needs of the students.

In order to meet the growing needs of the College, the Guru Nanak Dev Hospital was built in 1974, near to the college. This hospital contains emergency wards, specialty and super-specialty departments. Emergency services, clinical labs, radiological and other diagnostic facilities are also available. A complete of 951 beds is available for teaching and training students.

A rehabilitation section and an artificial limb fitting center also established in 1978 to the Orthopedics department. A 200 bedded Emergency Block is under development and is likely to start performing soon.

The Medical College and Guru Nanak Dev Hospital is spread over an area of 163 acres. The organization has maintained its eminence in offering outstanding patient care to North India. The Institution has also offered amazing physicians and healthcare researchers, too many institutions in the world, particularly U.K, U.S.A and Canada.


  • MBBS
  • MD/MS
Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) Course:
This program covers 4 1/2 years and with one year of compulsory clinical internship. The college approves 150 students in each batch. The eligibility for the course is passing the 12th class examination.

The students are admitted through a Punjab Medical Entrance test (PMET). For 85% of the seats the exam is conducted by Baba Farid University of Health Sciences Faridkot and for the remaining 15% the students are selected by All India Medical Entrance Examination (CBSE). Reserved seats for scheduled castes/tribes and Other Backward Classes are done according to state government policies.

The course and fee structure is set according to the rules laid down by the Medical Council of India. During the first year the students study the pre-clinical subjects like Anatomy, Physiology and Biochemistry. In the next one and a half year, the student studies and examined in Pathology, Microbiology, Pharmacology and Forensic Medicine. During this period the students are exposed to the clinical subjects.

During the last two years, the students have only the clinical subjects. This includes Internal Medicine including Cardiology and Neurology, Surgery, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Orthopedics, Ophthalmology, Otorhinolaryngology, Psychiatry, Dermatology and Community Medicine through lectures, demonstrations and clinical postings.

The final examination is held in two parts. Part-1 is held at the end of the one year and includes the subjects of Community Medicine, Ophthalmology, Otorhinolaryngology and Orthopedics. At the end of the second year the part-2 examination is held in Internal Medicine, Surgery, Pediatrics and Obstetrics & Gynecology.

To appear in these examinations, the student should satisfy the rules of Medical Council of India. A candidate must have at least 75% attendance in clinical postings and lectures and also have secured at least 35% marks in the internal assessment

Doctor of Medicine (MD) and Master of Surgery (MS) Courses:
To apply for these courses the applicants should complete Internship. The college will announce the number of seats from time to time. 75% of the seats are approved through Punjab Post Graduate Test and remaining 25% seats by All India Post Graduate Medical Entrance Examination conducted by DGHS. Reserved seats for scheduled castes/tribes and Other Backward Classes are done according to state government policies

These are 3 year courses during which the doctor works as a resident. The course and fee structure is set according to the rules laid down by the Medical Council of India. These doctors receive hands on training, outpatient and inpatient management (including diagnosis and treatment), ward procedures, teaching of undergraduates and postgraduates.

Surgical residents are trained in the principles of surgery and actually operate under supervision. During the 3 year period, the student also does research and writes a thesis. Application for registration of the thesis topic can be made 12 months after admission to the course. A student is eligible to appear at the MD or MS examination provided the student has obtained the MBBS degree, and completed 12 months Internship and subsequently put in 3 years work as junior resident in the department concerned. The MD / MS degree shall be conferred on the candidate after acceptance of the thesis and after passing the prescribed MD / MS examination.

The Library is located in the college campus near to the basic science block. The library has foreign and Indian journals and has a rich archive of old books.

Government Medical College, Amritsar Degree Programs :


  • Bachelor Degree
  • MBBS
  • B.Sc Anatomy
  • B.Sc Physiology
  • B.Sc Biochemistry
  • Master Degree
  • MD - General Medicine
  • MD - Paediatrics
  • MD - Dermatology
  • MD - Physiology
  • MD - Community Medicine
  • MD - Microbiology
  • MS - General Surgery
  • MS - ENT
  • MS - Orthopaedics
  • MS - Ophthalmology
  • MD - TB & Chest Diseases
  • MD - Psychiatry
  • MD - Radiodiagnosis
  • MD - Emergency Medicine
  • MD - Pathology
  • MD - Biochemistry
  • MD - Anaesthesiology
  • MS - Anatomy
  • MD - Skin & V.D
  • MD - Radiotherapy
  • M.Sc Anatomy
  • M.Sc Physiology
  • M.Sc Biochemistry
  • Diploma Programmes


  • Bachelor Degree
  • Bachelor of Science in Nursing

Allied Health Science

  • Bachelor Degree
  • Bachelor of Science in Medical Laboratory technology
  • Diploma Programmes
  • Diploma in Medical Laboratory technology
  • Diploma in Radiography

Video Presentation

Government Medical College, Amritsar

Contact Details

Address: Circular Road, Amritsar 143001



Find Your Degree!

News Letter Subscribe

Subscribe to the subject Government Medical College, Amritsar