About The Mount Sinai Medical Center
The Mount Sinai Medical Center is a 1,171-bed, tertiary-care teaching facility acclaimed internationally for excellence in clinical care. Founded in 1852, The Mount Sinai Medical Center encompasses The Mount Sinai Hospital and Mount Sinai School of Medicine.
US News & World Report named Mount Sinai Medical Center to its 2012-2013 Honor Roll of elite hospitals, ranking us 14th among nearly 5,000 hospitals nationwide. Mount Sinai also ranked in 11 out of 15 specialties, and is top ten in three of those: Geriatrics (#2), Gastroenterology (#7), and Heart and Heart Surgery
Additionally, Kravis Children's Hospital at Mount Sinai received U.S. News and World Report 2012-2013 rankings in six pediatric specialties:
Mount Sinai School of Medicine
- Diabetes & Endocrinology
Mount Sinai School of Medicine is internationally recognized as a leader in groundbreaking clinical and basic science research and is known for its innovative approach to medical education.
With a faculty of more than 3,400 in 38 clinical and basic science departments and centers, Mount Sinai ranks among the top 20 medical schools in receipt of National Institutes of Health grants. In its 2012 "America's Best Graduate Schools" issue, U.S. News & World Report ranks Mount Sinai School of Medicine 18th out of 126 medical schools nationwide.The Mount Sinai Hospital History
On January 15, 1852, nine men representing a variety of Jewish charities met to discuss a shared vision of free medical care for indigent Jews in New York City. In 1855, that vision came to fruition with the establishment of the 45-bed Jews' Hospital in New York in what was then a rural neighborhood on West 28th Street between Seventh and Eighth Avenues.
Although the hospital was intended as a sectarian institution, the Jews' Hospital accepted emergency patients of any religious affiliation. In its first year of operation, the majority of patients were foreign born. The hospital was expanded during the Civil War to accommodate Union soldiers.
As the Jews' Hospital was a charitable enterprise, its directors relied on the gifts of friends and members, as well as payments from the state and city, to provide enough to subsidize care.
To reflect its broader post-war mission and to maintain its eligibility for state and city support, the Jews' Hospital formally abandoned its sectarian charter in 1866 and was renamed The Mount Sinai Hospital. In 1872, it moved to a new 120-bed facility on Lexington Avenue, between 66th and 67th Streets, nearly tripling its original capacity.
Move to Upper East Side Leads to Expanded Services
With the move to Lexington Avenue, patient care grew to encompass outpatient services as well as specialty wards for pediatrics, eye and ear, neurology, genitourinary, and dermatology. A tiny lab, large enough for only two people, was set up in a coat closet, and lab work took on increased importance.
In 1881, The Mount Sinai Hospital established a training school for nurses, introducing professional nursing care to a facility previously served by untrained male and female attendants. In 1928, the school was re-named The Mount Sinai Hospital School of Nursing.
As advances in research, diagnosis, and patient care occurred, more people sought treatment at hospitals, and Mount Sinai administrators realized it was time once again to move and expand.
New Facilities on Fifth Avenue Offer Further Growth in 1904
In 1904, the new 456-bed, 10-pavilion Mount Sinai Hospital was dedicated on Fifth Avenue at 100th Street. Numerous specialties arose, among them otology - the treatment of ear diseases - physical therapy, and neurosurgery. The Hospital opened clinics on diabetes, cardiology, and mental health, among others.
The Social Service Auxiliary, what is now the Auxiliary Board, was formed in 1916 to provide financial support and labor resources to social service-related activities at the Hospital, usually in conjunction with the Social Service Department. The Auxiliary today works diligently to support vital hospital and community outreach projects.
Mount Sinai Active in Both World Wars
Mount Sinai sent medical units to both World Wars. During World War I, of the 24 physicians, 65 nurses, and 155 enlisted personnel serving with Base Hospital No. 3 of the U.S. Army Medical Corps in France, the majority of doctors and nurses were from Mount Sinai. The group converted a monastery in Dordogne into a 500-bed hospital that ultimately housed 2,800 patients at a time.
During World War II, nearly 900 Mount Sinai physicians, nurses, staff members and trustees saw wartime service. Mount Sinai's affiliated unit, the 3rd General Hospital, served in North Africa, Italy, and France. Nine members died while in service.
School of Medicine Opens in 1968
In the late 1950s, the Hospital began plans to establish its own medical school, an unusual move for a hospital. With its chartering in 1963, Mount Sinai School of Medicine became the first medical school to grow out of a non-university in more than 50 years. The fact that the Hospital was encouraged to found a school is a testament to its tradition of excellence in patient care as well as research.
Mount Sinai School of Medicine opened in 1968 in affiliation with The City University of New York. In building the medical school, trustees envisioned a new kind of medical institution - a university of health sciences. This new institution would encompass a medical school supported by a strong teaching hospital, a graduate school of biologic sciences, a graduate school of physical sciences, and an undergraduate program for allied health workers, such as laboratory and radiology technicians.
The first class in the newly formed Mount Sinai School of Medicine consisted of 36 students, four of whom were women. For 2011, the School had:
- 607 medical students
- 211 PhD students
- 102 MD/PhD students
- 510 postdoctoral fellows
- 3,400 faculty in 38 clinical and basic science departments and centers
Mount Sinai School of Medicine now ranks among the top 20 medical schools in receipt of National Institutes of Health grants. U.S. News & World Report ranks Mount Sinai School of Medicine 18th out of 126 medical schools in its 2011-2012 "America's Best Graduate Schools" issue.
Mount Sinai Hospital
The Mount Sinai Medical Center has come a long way since its founding as the Jews' Hospital in New York in 1852. Today The Mount Sinai Hospital is a 1,171-bed facility with nearly 2,500 attending physicians, 1,000 residents and fellows, and 2,200 registered nurses.
Each year, The Mount Sinai Hospital oversees approximately:
- 58,000 patients receiving inpatient care
- 530,000 outpatient visits
- 98,000 emergency room visits
- Uncompensated care of $76.7 million
U.S. News & World Report named The Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York as one of the nation's top 20 hospitals. In its 2012-2013 "Best Hospitals" issue, Mount Sinai ranked 14th nationally. A total of 4,861 hospitals were analyzed for the report, making it the most extensive hospital ranking to date. Having scored highly in 11 of 16 specialties examined by U.S. News, Mount Sinai is featured on the magazine's elite list of "Honor Roll" hospitals.Inside Mount Sinai
Published bi-weekly, "Inside Mount Sinai" features stories on Mount Sinai research, awards and recognitions, new faculty, centers, and institutes, and new programs and events.In this issue:
- Leaders from the nation's top hospitals and U.S. News & World Report convened at Mount Sinai for the first time to discuss the annual "Best Hospitals" rankings.
- At the 2012 Convocation ceremony, Dennis S. Charney, MD, delivered the annual state-of-the-medical-school address, which focused on a year of stellar achievements and outlined a robust commitment to discovery and innovation.
- As flu season approaches, faculty, staff, students and volunteers at Mount Sinai can receive free annual influenza vaccinations at convenient times and locations
Mount Sinai School of Medicine Degree Programs :
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (OMFS) Program
: 1 Gustave L. Levy Place New York, NY 10029, United States