The Institute came into existence after tireless efforts of a few visionaries and was tenderly nurtured by great protagonists of the time. A 300 bedded General Hospital was inaugurated by Shri Y.B. Chavan, the then Union Home Minister on October 22, 1968. It is still being used as the main hospital block.
On May 22, 1972 the foundation stone of the first ever medical college, on the soil of Manipur, having the name of Manipur Medical College was laid by Shri B.K. Nehru, the then Governor of Manipur.
The Medical College was established as a joint venture of the North Eastern States. On September 14, 1972, the name of the College was changed to Regional Medical College, Imphal. The College was later renamed as North Eastern Regional Medical College under the management of North Eastern Regional Medical College Society. From August, 1976, it was run under the Ministry of Home, Government of India and was the only medical college run by the Ministry of Home.
Nearly 19 years later, the College was again renamed as Regional Institute of Medical Sciences and its management was taken over by NEC, Ministry of DoNER, Government of India from April 1,1995. After exactly 12 years, on the historic day of April 1, 2007, the Institute was transferred to the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India.
It is an institution of regional importance catering to the needs of the North Eastern Region in the field of medical education by providing undergraduate and post graduate courses, bringing together in one place the educational facilities for the training of personnel in all important branches of medical specialties. The objective of this premier institute is to impart quality medical education and ameliorate the health condition of the composite population of the seven states of North Eastern Region (excluding Assam).
RIMS is a 1074 bedded teaching hospital, equipped with modern state of the art equipments and teaching facilities having an intake capacity of 100 undergraduate, 145 Postgraduate Degree and 6 Postgraduate Diploma seats. The Hospital normally provides services to more than 2.4 lakh out-door patients and admits over 31 thousand patients in a year. It has MEDLINE access from WHO, Tele-medicine Centre, Regional Medical Library, Advanced Hospital Information and Management System etc. The Institute is affiliated to the Manipur University, Imphal and fulfills the prescribed norms of the Medical Council of India.
The Administrative staff of this section are:
- Prof. W. Gyaneshwar Singh as the dean of the Institute.
- Dr. Kaushik Debnath, Professor of Pathology is assisting the Dean as Ex-Officio O.S.D. (Academic)
The academic section is the hub of all the academic activities of RIMS, Imphal. Its main areas of work concern are as follows:
- M.B.B.S Admission
- P.G./Post Doctural Entrance Examination & Admission
- M.Phil Entrance Examination
- B.Sc. Nursing Admission
- Semester and University examinations of M.B.B.S. and P.G. Examination
- MCI Inspections
- Meritorious Students Awards etc.
Nursing College has been started from December 2009. Postgraduate Course in Immunohematology and Blood Transfusion Medicine has also been started and M.Ch. courses in Urology and Plastic Surgery have also been started. Number of scientific papers published, research works performed and teachers attending conferences has remarkably increased during the last one year.The Main assignments and activities of this centralized facility are to:
Installation & Maintenance of Servers for:
- Provide, manage and ensure the satisfactory operation of joint computer and software facilities for the students and departments that require these facilities.
- Provide technical assistance to various users.
- Ensure the monitoring of the computer network at the institute, and the coordination of inter connections and the management of overall computer facilities for the whole institute.
- Provide computer facilities for the institute administration.
- Internet Access.
- E-mailing Facilities.
- Computation Facilities.
- Management & upload of the Official RIMS, Imphal Web Page
- Maintaining the huge campus network, consisting about 350 nodes
- Provides & maintains the PCs of the Faculty & Staff members
- Teaching programmes like conducting Computers classes for B.Sc. Nursing and staff of RIMS
ll the departments, sections, units, wards & medical complex are connected through OFC to the core switch in the Server room. Internet access is availed from to provide better connectivity and make the system fault-tolerant.
The Computer centre internet and intranet unit takes care of maintenance of its proxy Mail and HTTP server for RIMS, up gradation of internet services, development of the web sites and the contents creation and management of the latest information of the departments at its web site.
The Computer centre looks after the development of software and its maintenance for all the computational needs of the establishment, recruitment, audit, accounts and other administrative units of the RIMS.
The Patient Care System which is gigantic task (and once developed earlier) has been undertaken again on a mass scale of designing and implementation of single system to cater to the needs of all the centers and RIMS hospital- inpatient and outpatients, the need of laboratory services and management information services for the patients.
Regional Institute of Medical Sciences Degree Programs :
- Diploma in Clinical Pathology
- Diploma in Anesthesiology