ESTABLISHMENT OF THE INSTITUTE
Rural Institute of Medical Sciences and Research, Saifai Etawah working definitions are as follows:-
- With effect from such date, as the State Government may notify in this behalf, there shall be established at Saifai in district Etawah an Institute of Medical Sciences and Research, to be known as the Rural Institute of Medical Sciences and Research,Saifai, and all the assets, liabilities and employees of the Satellite Centre of Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Sciences already functioning at Saifai, Etawah under section 3 of the Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Sciences Act, 1983 ( U.P . Act no .30 of 1983) shall deemed to be of the said Institute.
- The Institute shall be a body corporate.
- It shall be affiliated to a University in accordance with the provisions of the Uttar Pradesh State University Act, 1973.
- Established by UPRIMS&R, Saifai, Act 2005 notified on 15 Dec 2005.
- President of Governing Body is Chief Secretary, UP Govt. / ex-officio.
- Establishment of Medical College.
- Establishment of Para Medical College.
- Establishment of College including super specialty facility.
- Establishment of high standard research Organization.
Objectives of study:
- Baseline mortality of children under five of age (neonatal, infant and under five mortality).
- Prevalence of fever, diarrhoea, cough and any other illness (morbidity pattern).
- Effective programme coverage for some specified disease condition (cough with fast breathing).
- Health facility utilization rate for under five illness.
Designing of survey formats:
- A team of programme evaluation experts, Paediatricians, Social scientist, Epidemiologist, Biostatisticians and Anthropologists conducted several rounds of discussions and developed different survey formats keeping in mind the key objectives of the study.
- Household screening form (160 forms per cluster).
- Household survey form (20 children (10 M, 10 F) per cluster).
- Generic observation at the health facility.
- Observation of skill-prescriber/ANM/AWW.
- Observation of skill-ASHA/other non conventional community health providers.
- Tracking of events: Morbidity-sick child (1-59 months).
- Tracking of events in neonate (10-28 days).
- Verbal autopsy (under five deaths).
For this study one team covered 10 clusters in 20 days. Thus the total 30 clusters were surveyed by 3 teams of RIMS&R, Saifai, Etawah. The technique for sampling was based on well established WHO thirty clusters methodology which were selected by coordinating agency AIIMS, New Delhi. Each cluster was divided in to 4 quadrants to sample every segment of population. In each quadrant the team decided the first household through a random process using the last two digits on the currency note available with RA/Doctors.
Rural Institute of Medical Sciences and Research Degree Programs :