Creating a country imbued with a scientific culture was Jawaharlal Nehru's dream, and immediately after independence he prepared a grand design to achieve it. Among the temples of modern India which he designed, was a center of excellence in the medical sciences. Nehru's dream was that such a center would set the pace for medical education and research in Rajasthan.
Sardar Patel Medical College was established as an institution of national importance with the objects to develop patterns of teaching in Undergraduate and Post-graduate Medical Education so as to demonstrate a high standard of Medical Education in India; to bring together in one place educational facilities of the highest order for the training of personnel in all important branches of health activity; and to attain self-sufficiency in Post-graduate Medical Education. The Institute has comprehensive facilities for teaching, research and patient-care.
Shri Mohan Lal Sukhadia, the Chief Minister of Rajasthan laid down the foundation stone of this Medical College on 5th Feb. 1959. Later on Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru laid a corner stone on 1st April 1959. Dr. S. C. Mehta took over the charge of Officer on special duty in Dec. 1958 and he became the first Principal of second medical college in the state, when the first batch of 45 students joined in 1959 (though the first medical institution in the present Rajasthan was opened as early as mid nineteenth century in in Jaipur but it had a very short life due to opposition by the public for the dissection of the human dead bodies, and was soon forgotten).
The name of our college has an interesting story. Initially, it was Bikaner Medical College as the people of Bikaner had offered a handsome sum to be donated. When this did not materialize substantially, Late Dr. S. C. Mehta, in consultation of Govt. of Rajasthan, decided to name the college after Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel, the architect of Modern India. The namkaran ceremony was to be presided over by late Mrs. Indira Gandhi who was deputed by the then Prime Minister, Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru, but the function never held due to the car accident of the then Rajasthan Chief Minister, Mr. Mohan Lal Sukhadia. Only the printed invitation cards remind us about the function.
During the earlier years (July 1959 to January 1964) the college was housed in building of War Hospital No.1, which later became teachers' training college, just next to Kirti Stambh. The long projecting extensions towards Kirti Stambh were newly constructed for the dissection hall. The central dome of the building housed the Library. Physiology dept. and the Boys' hostel were on the first floor. The play ground opposite the building was the result of 'Shramdan' by the teachers and students of the college. The early batches of the students were given personal attention comparable to that given in public schools. Great stress was laid on good traditions. The principal used to dine once a month with students in the hostel and used to hear about their grievances and problems.
During 1962, to celebrate the Silver jubilee of P.B.M. Hospital, the cobalt plant was decided to be installed in the institution. The Govt. of India was prepared to give the plant free of cost, provided the hospital administration could collect suitable funds for constructing the necessary accommodation. A committee was constructed by Dr. S. P. Wanchoo, the then principal, consisting of Dr. G. K. Mukherji, Dr. M. N. Kathju and Dr. Himmat Singh to go to Calcutta and collect money for the building of cobalt plant. They collected some 1.25 lacs rupees only. Subsequently, during the tenure of Dr. D. G. Ojha, more money was collected and the cobalt plant was installed.
The college was shifted to the present building in the early 1964 when Dr. D. G. Ojha took over as the Principal. The main highway between college and the hospital was constructed by the 'Shramdan' of the students and staff in twelve days of mourning after the death of Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru, the first prime Minister of India, beginning 27th May 1964. Subsequently, the road was tarred and today it stands as the main communication channel between hospital and college.
Dr. Kailash Chandra Nayak started his medical career with graduation (MBBS 1975) & Post graduation in Medicine (M.D. 1986) from Sardar Patel Medical College, Bikaner. His journey in this noble profession started as a tutor in 1987 in Department of Medicine, SP Medical College, Bikaner. He is continuing his services as Professor and Head of the Department since 2008 and guide for post graduates since 1987.
Dr. Nayak's more than 55 research papers have been published in various esteemed Journals of International & National repute. His academic interest is revealed by the fact that he has been attending organizing scores of conferences, delivering guest lectures & participating in workshops & training programs since many years. He has acted chairman /co-chairman in various scientific National conferences. He is a professional member of many national and international societies.
State Government of Rajasthan enacted an Act "The Rajasthan University of Health Sciences Act, 2005" (Act No. 1 of 2005). in February 2005. Rajasthan University of Health Sciences, Jaipur started functioning from the 1st April, 2006 primarily with taking over six government and two private Medical Colleges in its fold in. Very same day Dr. P.P.S. Mathur, Ex. Sr. Professor, Neurosurgery and Medical Superintendent, SMS Hospital, Jaipur joined as first Vice-Chancellor of the University. Thereafter, things started moving with the postings of Finance Officer and Registrar. RUHS has been able to conduct all medical related pre-exams and regular exams.
Sardar Patel Medical College, Bikaner
Subscribe to the subject Sardar Patel Medical College, Bikaner