It was 1920, and the island city of Bombay had only one medical college, the Grant Medical College. India was under British rule and naturally the college was managed by the British. No Indian doctors were appointed irrespective of their academic background and experience.This was the time when the country was in the throes of the independence movement. Local nationalistic leaders felt that the city should have a medical college that is established only with the help of locally generated funds without taking any help from the British rulers.
Through donations from the Tilak Swaraj Funds, on the 4th of September 1921, the National Medical College was established This College started functioning at the Victoria Cross Lane, Byculla. The founding fathers wanted to train doctors who could serve not only through hospitals, but would also reach out to the community. Incidentally Ayurveda was an obligatory part of the curriculum in our college. As, in those days, even the Universities were controlled by the British the founders affiliated the institution to the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Bombay and the first batch of students was admitted for its Licentiate Medical Practitioner (LMP) course.
National Medical College
The People Free Hospital was therefore set up close to the present campus and near where the YMCA stands today. Strapped as they were for funds not being able to ask the government for aid, the administrators were always on the lookout for local support.
People's free hospital
Fortuitously, at this time Dr AL Nair, the person after whom the road, on which we are situated today, is also named came into the picture. He was the proprietor of the Powell and Co. dealing in medical supplies and equipments. He magnanimously donated two acres of his land for the hospital campus. In 1925, Dr Nair also helped set up a well-equipped hospital which he named after his mother Bai Yamunabai Laxman Nair. He also donated funds to run the hospital. Incidentally, the story goes that the money donated was from the proceeds of the sale of land used to build the neighbouring Bombay Central Station!
Our Library is the first Air-conditioned since 1979.
Current status(School of Nursing)
At present, 100 students are admitted in a year. Academic year begins on 1st August & ends on 31st July. During this period, students undergo theory classes & practical in the classroom & clinical posting in the ward. Faculty includes one principal, 16 sister tutors, one Public health nurse & additionally 4 staff nurses those who have finished B.Sc. Nursing are in the school on internal adjustment. We have 2 supportive staff, and one driver and cleaner for school bus.
The School has student nurses organization, which gives additional platform for the students to tap their potential.
The following activities are conducted on regular basis;
Subscribe to the subject Topiwala National Medical College and Nair Hospital