About The University
The roots of higher education in Debrecen go back to the 16th century. The Reformed College of Debrecen, founded in 1538, had a nationwide leading role in the preservation and development of Hungarian education and culture for centuries.
According to historical records, by the end of the 18th century the College had five departments, three of which were devoted to teaching philosophy. A great turn took place in 1908, when the Reformed Academy of Humanities was created and teacher training started, although within rather narrow bounds.
The College gave home to a wide array of higher education developments, which, thanks to the generosity of the people of Debrecen, greatly contributed to the foundation of a Hungarian Royal University in 1912, the same year when the one in Bratislava was founded. The new university was created out of the three academic sections (today we would call them faculties) of the College: theology, law, and humanities, and it was also supplemented by a medical school, whose teaching function was based on the town's general hospital.
Education began at the four faculties in September 1914. Some of the faculties, including the Faculty of Arts, were located in the buildings of the Reformed College for another twenty years. The Faculty of Medicine was the first to receive an independent site, when, during World War I, the construction of the university hospital began on a secluded, wooded ground of 116 hectares. There were almost a thousand people working at the site, most of them prisoners of war. Charles IV, the last king of Hungary, opened the main building of the medical school in 1918, and the medical campus was completed in 1927. The new high-rise building, which houses departments of theoretical medicine, was erected in 1973.
Meanwhile, from 1921 the University was named after Istvan Tisza, former prime minister of Hungary. In May 1932 another important improvement took place when the magnificent Main Building of the University - "the most beautiful university building in Central Europe" - was finished. The building, which was the largest in the city, was erected in eclectic and neobaroque style; especially impressive is the main hall and its glass roof at 29 meters from the floor. With the completion of the building, university departments and faculties have become physically independent from their intellectual ancestor, the Reformed College. The Main Building also houses the University Library, which, with more than 6 million items, is the second largest library in the country.
The end of World War II and the subsequent communist turn meant other profound changes in the life of the University. In 1949 the Faculty of Natural Sciences was formed, and twenty years later most of its departments moved to a new building (the Chemistry Building, situated just northwest from the Main Building) erected in 1970.
In 1949/50 the University was restructured. The Faculty of Theology was returned to the Reformed College, the Faculty of Medicine became an independent university, the Faculty of Law was discontinued, and several excellent teachers and professors were expelled form the University.
The departments of English, French, Italian, German, and Classical Philology were closed down; on the other hand, the Department of Russian Philology expanded dramatically. The teaching of western languages was restarted only after 1956 (with the exception of Italian, which was re-implemented in the first half of the 1990's).In 1952 the Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences and the Faculty of Natural Sciences were united as Lajos Kossuth University. The newly formed universities - the Medical University, the University of Agriculture and Lajos Kossuth University - continued to co-exist as three separate institutions up until 2000, when the disjointed former University of Debrecen was once again united.
On January 1, 2000, the colleges and universities of Hajdu-Bihar County were united, and, as a result, the University of Debrecen came into being with five university and three college level faculties and with a student population of 20,000. The three large universities of Debrecen that entered this union included the University of Agriculture, Lajos Kossuth University (with the university-level faculties of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences, Natural Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies and Business Administration, Institute of Law as well as college-level Faculty of Engineering) and the Medical University. Further faculties entered on an independent basis: the college-level Conservatory of Debrecen, schools of the University.. Three of the so-called academic "institutes" (Dentistry, Law and Pharmacy) have already reached the rank and status of faculty.
Finally, we have to mention the Debrecen Summer School, which is also located on the campus, although technically independent from the university. The School was founded in 1927 and since then it has grown to be one of the largest Hungarian institutions for teaching Hungarian culture and Hungarian as a foreign language. Courses are offered on several levels and in every season, attracting hundreds of students each year.
The 15 faculties of the University of Debrecen form 3 centres - those of medical sciences, agricultural sciences, and arts and natural sciences. The centres also comprise research institutes, research groups and other auxiliary units aiding education.
Faculty of Science and Technology
At the Faculty of Science and Technology more than 4000 students are carrying on their studies in 10 undergraduate, 18 graduate, 8 postgraduate programmes and in 5 doctoral schools. Our staff consists of 180 professors, lecturers and assistants, 6 of them are members the Hungarian Academy of Sciences. The Faculty was established in 1949, and now is playing a leading role in training professionals, teachers and experts of science and technology in the North Great Plain Region of Hungary.
Our strength traditionally lies in the achievements in basic sciences: biology, chemistry, earth sciences, ecology, mathematics and physics, which are utilized in applied sciences and technology. We effectively cooperate with numerous industrial companies of the region, especially with bio-, pharmaceutical and chemical factories.
Debrecen: a throbbing city
Debrecen lies in the north-eastern part of the Great Hungarian Plain, 220 kms east of Budapest. It is the administrative, economic, educational, scientific and cultural centre of Eastern Hungary and the capital of Hajdu-Bihar county. It has a population of about 205 000, second only to the country's capital. For centuries Debrecen was known as the "Calvinist Rome", since Catholics and members of other churches were not allowed to settle within the city walls. Due to its sister cities and partnership relations Debrecen has made its name known on three continents.
Debrecen is the traditional economic and cultural centre of Eastern Hungary. In the 16th century Debrecen became the centre of the Reformed Church in Hungary and later it was called the "Calvinist Rome". The 17th century was the golden age of the city because it was the mediator between the three parts of the country: the part under Turkish occupation, the Kingdom of Hungary and the Principality of Transylvania. For short periods of time, it served twice as the capital of the country. Nowadays, with its population of approximately 200,000, it is the second largest city in Hungary.
The major festival of Debrecen, the Flower Carnival, is organized every year on 20th of August. Over the decades, some 100 million flowers have been used to decorate 600 or so floats, which were seen, along with the tens of thousands of Hungarian and foreign performing participants, by millions of visitors. The Flower Carnival has recently grown into a week-long festival with events focusing on music, dance and flowers.
Debrecen is also part of the larger spring and fall festivals held across Hungary. Each year, an international Jazz Festival is organized at the end of September, and the city is internationally famous for its biennial Bela Bartok Choir Competition, Beer Carnival, Wine Carnival and the International Military Band Festival.
In addition to the main events and festivals that have been attracting more and more visitors for years, the various Village Days, Spa Parties, exhibitions, equestrian and horse-herders' shows, folklore programmes, folklore art fairs are also popular.
The city of spas
Thermal water is one of the most important treasures in nature's pharmacy. Hungary is a country with countless baths, as well as one of the largest reserves of thermal and medicinal water in the world. The medicinal waters of our area were explored by geologist Ferenc Pavai-Vajna, who was hoping to find hydrocarbon derivatives but, instead, explored medicinal springs of high capacity and of high temperature in the area of , Debrecen and Karcag.
The city's thermal spa was built in a beautiful environment, in the Great Forest of Debrecen, which was the country's first nature conservation area. Today the spa is part of the Aquaticum Debrecen Thermal and Wellness Hotel, offering not only thermal water of 63 degree Celsius but also 40 different treatments from mud treatment to effervescent bath to laser therapy, supported by the professional background provided by the nearby medical center.
The cultural centre of Eastern Hungary
Debrecen is one of the cultural and social centres of Hungary for almost half a century, and has been dedicated to establish and maintain a remarkable and outstanding cultural credo. Since 1538 the most marvellous minds of Hungarian culture and science learned in the famous Reformed College. The Museum of the College has an outstanding collection of 17 000 pieces and its library owns distinctive book rarities, while its collection of embroidery and goldsmith's crafts also offers a unique experience.
The Kolcsey Convention Centre is the largest such venue of the country outside Budapest, where many Hungarian and international stars have performed since its opening in 2006. Recent performers include Cesaria Evora, Chick Corea, or Jan Garbarek. The exhibition hall and foyer of the building are frequently used for large-scale art events, such as the exhibition of Francisco Goya, Hasegawa or William Blake.
Deri Museum, located in the heart of the city, is another outstanding storehouse of cultural and intellectual assets of Debrecen. Foremost among the attractions of the museum are the monumental paintings of the Christ-trilogy by the 19th century Hungarian artist, Mihaly Munkacsy. The collection of the museum also includes Egyptian mummies, East-Asian artefacts, Oriental weapons, as well as many other interesting curiosities.
Modem, the new, 3-storey art gallery of the city, was the venue (after Florence and Tokyo) of the exhibition "The Real da Vinci", which attracted more than 160 thousand visitors.
he theatre life of the city is also very vibrant, as the two stone-built theatres of the city, the Csokonai Theater and the Vojtina Puppet Theater offer a cornucopia of programmes for the theatre-going audience. Nevertheless, a number of experimental, amateur and alternative theatre groups also shape the interesting cultural life of Debrecen, which usually offer plays and stage productions in several foreign languages.
The town of Debrecen is situated in the intersection of particular ethnographic regions. The products of the craftsmen lived here were widely preferred and they had important part in the folk culture and folk art of the wider area. The local history part of the permanent exhibition of Deri Museum displays the rich collections of everyday articles of former citizens in Debrecen called "the Civis" citizens. Traditions are kept alive today by workshops in the so-called Tanner's House , which offers a glimpse into the secrets of cloak applique trimming, embroidery, bonelace making, pottery, blue-dying and many other crafts. The traditional Mihaly Day's fair, organised twice a year, is a great opportunity to buy the works of craftsmen in the region.
University of Debrecen - Faculty of Medicine
The University of Debrecen was founded in 1912. The Faculty of Medicine was inaugurated in 1918. In present days, Debrecen is still renowned for its outstanding educational resources and institutes of higher education. More than ten thousand students attend the University of Debrecen in each year. The education of pharmacists began within the framework of a joint education program between the University Medical School of Debrecen and the former Lajos Kossuth University with Consent of the National Accreditation Committee and the Higher Education Board in 1996.
36 52 411 600, +36 52 489 400
Subscribe to the subject University of Debrecen, Faculty of Medicine