Welcome from Dr. Podolsky
UT Southwestern Medical Center is distinctive for its overall quality and for the strength of its three core missions of education, research, and patient care. These mission components are highly interdependent; each is integral to and enhances the others. The results of basic science, translational, and clinical research inform the patient care we provide; research projects are influenced by the desire to understand the causes of disease and the hope of designing new-and effective-treatments and cures; and our students and trainees are exposed to innovative scientific thinking and clinical expertise, and in turn, stimulate our faculty to remain at the cutting edge of their fields.UT Southwestern is proud of its distinguished record of breakthrough scientific discoveries, outstanding medical education and training, and excellence in patient care.
Founded in 1943 as a private Medical School by a group of prominent Dallas citizens, it became part of the University of Texas System in 1949, and has evolved over the years to become one of the leading academic medical centers in the country.
UT Southwestern consists today of three degree granting schools and a University Health System of hospitals and clinics. Its faculty is renowned for including five Nobel Laureates (one now Emeritus) and many members of the National Academy of Sciences and Institute of Medicine, and UT Southwestern University Hospital is ranked by U.S. News & World Report as the best hospital in Dallas-Fort Worth. The initial connection with the Dallas community has been sustained, and their ongoing interest and generosity has been fundamental to UT Southwestern's growth and success.
UT Southwestern contributes to the Dallas community and North Texas region in multiple ways. With 11,000 employees and an operating budget of close to $1.8 billion, the Medical Center is a major source of jobs and economic activity for Dallas. UT Southwestern faculty receive over $400 million a year in external funding for research, and as an extension of our research mission, UT Southwestern promotes technology transfer activities that lead to the creation of companies aimed at translating research results into therapeutic agents.
In regard to clinical care, UT Southwestern contributes directly and indirectly to the quality of health care available to those who live in Dallas and North Texas. Over 60% of the physicians who practice in the area were trained at UT Southwestern, and in addition to the care provided by UT Southwestern faculty physicians to patients at our affiliated partners, Parkland Memorial Hospital, Children's Medical Center, and the Dallas VA Medical Center, UT Southwestern University Hospitals (Zale Lipshy and St. Paul) provide members of the Dallas community access to the most advanced care for the most serious medical problems. St. Paul University Hospital is a designated stroke center, and our Harold C. Simmons Cancer Center is the only National Cancer Institute-designated cancer center in North Texas.
Prompted by the need to replace St. Paul University Hospital, UT Southwestern is currently building a new University Hospital to replace the aging facility. The new hospital will open in 2015, and is designed to be an expression of our commitment to delivering high quality, patient-centric care that reflects the integration of our academic and clinical missions.
UT Southwestern is committed to remaining at the forefront of scientific research; to educating and training physicians, scientists, and health care professionals for the changing landscapes of health care delivery and of biomedical and clinical research; and to providing excellent and innovative patient care. The leadership, faculty, staff, and students of UT Southwestern Medical Center are proud to be engaged in creating the future of medicine, today.
Office of the President
Welcome to the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, one of the country's leading academic medical centers, dedicated to medical education and training, research, and patient care. As a component of the University of Texas System, UT Southwestern is governed by the UT Board of Regents, and led by President Dr. Daniel K. Podolsky.
The Office of the President is responsible for overseeing the institution's strategic priorities; its academic, clinical, and administrative operations; and its interactions with the Dallas community, the UT System Board of Regents, and the Texas State Legislature.
The story of UT Southwestern Medical Center is one of commitment to excellence, dedication to discovery, and service to the community. It's also a story of phenomenal growth, fueled by exceptional people with an extraordinary vision: to establish an academic medical center second to none.
Since its formation in 1943, Southwestern Medical School has grown from a small wartime medical college into UT Southwestern Medical Center, a multifaceted academic institution nationally recognized for its excellence in educating physicians, biomedical scientists, and health-care personnel.
Under the leadership of the late Dr. Edward H. Cary and Karl Hoblitzelle, a group of prominent Dallas citizens organized Southwestern Medical Foundation in 1939 to promote medical education and research in Dallas and the region. When Baylor University elected to move its school of medicine from Dallas to Houston in 1943, the foundation formally established Southwestern Medical College as the 68th medical school in the United States.
When a new state medical school was proposed after World War II, leaders of Southwestern Medical Foundation offered the college's equipment, library, and certain restricted funds to The University of Texas, provided the University would locate its new medical branch in Dallas. The Board of Regents accepted this offer from the foundation, and in 1949 the college became Southwestern Medical School of The University of Texas. In 1954 the name was changed to The University of Texas Southwestern Medical School. The present campus site on Harry Hines Boulevard was occupied in 1955 upon the completion of the Edward H. Cary Building. This placed the medical school faculty next to the newly built Parkland Memorial Hospital.
In November 1972 the name and scope of the medical school were changed with its reorganization into The University of Texas Health Science Center at Dallas. In approving the concept of a health science center, the Board of Regents provided for the continued growth of coordinated but separate medical, graduate, and undergraduate components, interacting creatively on the problems of human health and well-being.
In 1986 the Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) opened a research facility on the campus. Concentrating on molecular biology, it has brought outstanding scientists to head laboratories in their specialties. These investigators also hold faculty positions in the basic science departments of the medical school and graduate school.
In October 1987 the UT System Board of Regents approved changing the name of the health science center to The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, reconfirming its original Southwestern identity. The medical center currently encompasses Southwestern Medical School, Southwestern Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, and the Southwestern School of Health Professions.
In October 2009 the UT System Board of Regents and the Board of Trustees of the Seton Family of Hospitals approved the creation of a new partnership with UT Southwestern for medical education and research. The partnership significantly increased the number of residents (doctors in training) practicing at Seton facilities. The agreement also bolstered medical research projects conducted by the Seton Family of Hospitals, and allowed for the expansion of collaborative research efforts with UT Southwestern and The University of Texas at Austin.
The partnership led the UT System Board of Regents to in February 2011 approve changing the institution's name to The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, stripping "at Dallas" from the name. The change was intended to reflect the growing breadth of the school, including UT Southwestern's partnership with the Seton Family of Hospitals.
UT Southwestern is located on Harry Hines Boulevard, a 10-minute drive northwest of downtown Dallas. Since the late 1960s the university has grown to include 10.8 million square feet of space with another 1.4 million square feet under construction. UT Southwestern has budgeted almost $1.13 billion for construction through 2014. Affiliated hospitals adjacent to the campus are Children's Medical Center Dallas and Parkland Memorial Hospital.
UT Southwestern's faculty and residents annually provide care to more than 100,000 hospitalized patients and oversee nearly 2 million outpatient visits. They also provide $427 million in unreimbursed professional services annually.
The faculty also includes five Nobel Laureates, four of whom are active faculty members, 19 members in the prestigious National Academy of Sciences, and 18 members in the Institute of Medicine, a component of the NAS.
And as international medical and scientific needs grow, so too will UT Southwestern. We will keep working to remain at the pinnacle of medical institutions worldwide.
Facts & Figures
UT Southwestern Medical Center ranks among the top academic medical centers in the world. Its faculty members - who are responsible for a broad array of groundbreaking biomedical research advances - are respected for their dedication to teaching. UT Southwestern's physicians provide patients with the highest quality of care throughout the medical center's university hospitals and clinics, and its affiliated hospitals.
The Medical Center has three degree-granting institutions: UT Southwestern Medical School, UT Southwestern Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, and UT Southwestern School of Health Professions.
UT Southwestern Medical School
One of four medical schools in the UT System and one of eight in Texas, UT Southwestern admits about 230 students each year.
Medical students are taught the basic sciences and fundamental mechanisms of disease during the first two years, along with basic clinical skills. For the second two years, they pursue clinical courses in a variety of medical specialties at UT Southwestern's affiliated teaching hospitals and clinics.
The Medical Scientist Training Program prepares individuals for medical careers that will include biomedical research as well as the application of research discoveries to the practice of medicine. The program awards combined M.D. and Ph.D. degrees. With major financial support from the National Institutes of Health, the program provides fellowships to more than 100 exceptionally talented medical scientists.
Faculty members continue to educate physicians beyond medical school. They annually train more than 1,300 clinical residents who are supplementing their MD education with postgraduate specialty and subspecialty training, the largest training program in Texas. Faculty members also provide continuing medical education. Attendance last year totaled nearly 38,600 participants at almost 260 activities.
Faculty members also serve as educational resources to thousands of science teachers at hundreds of schools in North Texas through the Science Teacher Access to Resources at Southwestern (STARS) program.
UT Southwestern Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences
The Graduate School, with almost 650 students enrolled, educates biomedical scientists, counselors, engineers and communicators. Programs lead to Doctor of Philosophy, Master of Arts and Master of Science degrees.
Ten programs in basic sciences form the Division of Basic Science. Future scientists are trained to investigate basic life processes from the molecular level to the whole animal. Students pursue their majors in the laboratories of some of the world's most distinguished researchers.
Ph.D. programs are offered in 10 areas: Biological Chemistry, Cancer Biology, Cell Regulation, Genetics and Development, Immunology, Integrative Biology, Molecular Biophysics, Molecular Microbiology, Neuroscience, and Biomedical Engineering (a joint program with UT Arlington).
The Division of Clinical Science offers programs in Clinical Psychology-Ph.D.; and Clinical Sciences-MCS
UT Southwestern School of Health Professions
In addition to physicians, a myriad of professionals care for the sick and injured, perform diagnostic tests, and provide therapy for physically and mentally challenged individuals. These are allied health professionals, and their jobs span many areas of health care.
More than 350 students are enrolled in the UT Southwestern School of Health Professions. The school offers bachelor's degrees in Medical Laboratory Sciences and Radiation Therapy; master's degrees in Clinical Nutrition, Prosthetics-Orthotics, Physician Assistant Studies, and Rehabilitation Counseling; a doctoral degree in Physical Therapy and certificate programs in Blood Bank Technology, Emergency Medicine Education (EMT/Paramedic), Medical Laboratory Sciences and Radiation Therapy.
White Coat Ceremony
Subscribe to the subject University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center