BIRTH OF MEDICAL COLLEGE:
In 1958 there were only three Government Medical Colleges located at Bangalore, Mysore and Hubli and there were no private medical colleges in the state .There was no Medical College in the entire Hyderabad Karnataka and Old Madras regions of the state. There was great demand and pressure on the Government for starting a New Medical College in the state. Sponsoring committees at different places including Gulbarga, Belgaum, Mangalore, Davangere were formed for getting a medical college.
At Bellary in 1958,a Sponsoring committee was constituted, comprising of then stalwarts Tekur Subramanyam, then M.P of Bellary,M.M.Patil(Father of Shri.M.P.Prakash), H.Linga Reddy, Y.Mahabaleshwarappa, Allum Karibasappa, V.Nagappa, M.Y.Ghorpade, Abdul Kareem of Royal Talkies, Dr,Y.P.Vittal, Prominent ENT Surgeon amongst the others.
Dr.Y.P.Vittal and Mr.M.Y.Ghorpade are happily amidst us and we approach them for help and guidance from time to time .Struggle for getting Medical college attained serious proportions turned violent at times at different places in state. Bellary Bundh was observed in 1960.Sponsoring Committee members made several trips to Bangalore and met concerned Ministers and Chief minister pleading for the location of new medical college at Bellary. Public of Bellary whole heartedly co-operated and contributed generously toward a corpus fund of Rs.10 lakhs for starting Medical college .
The Mysore Government appointed a technical committee to study and submit a report for the location of new Medical college in the state and the committee submitted a report favouring Bellary as the ideal site for location of New Medical College.
RESURRECTION OF MEDICAL COLLEGE:
Medical College received lot of patronage and encouragement from Government and people of Bellary resulting in alround development in sixties and seventies. Perhaps it enjoyed pinnacle of glory from 1975 to 1980 when Dr.R.H.N.Shenoy was the principal. During this period Medical Council of India not only gave recognition to M.B.B.S Course but also permitted to start P.G. Courses in various departments.
The decline started in early eighties and the present decade where there were no developmental activities in the campus. Posts in various departments fell vacant and in 1994,50-60% of posts in some departments were vacant as the doctors working in Bangalore and Mysore never reported here on orders of transfer or worked for some time and managed to go back to Bangalore and Mysore .So much so in 1994 MCI withdrew the recognition and after obtaining an undertaking from the state Government permitted admission on risk basis.
Government subsequently appointed a committee under the Chairmanship of Dr. Ramanna then DME to suggest ways and means to develop the Medical college. Committee in its report suggested to convert the college into an autonomous institute with separate Director and the Governing Council under the chairmanship of Minister for Medical Education, consequently Vijayanagar Institute of Medical Sciences (VIMS) came into existence in 1996. Dr.Lalitha Mahale, then the principal of KMC and Dr. Tekur Ramanath then HOD of Medicine, Medical college, Bellary took over as director and principal of VIMS respectively in the month of August 1996.
The Vijayanagara Institute of Medical Sciences has one of the finest and with the most advanced library facilities available for the Staff and the Students, with a total area covering about 2375 sq mtrs.
The library has a seating capacity of around 300 No with many different sections like,
The Institute is affiliated to Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Bangalore and it is to be mentioned that in all the University examinations more than 80% of the students have passed in the last many years. One student of this college got 15th rank in All India PG entrance examination. All the needy students both men, women are provided hostels and have the separate working women hostel.
This Institute runs its own nursing school for diploma nursing studies with annual admission of 30 students and also 8 school of nursing and two college of nursing private nursing institutes are availing the clinical facilities of different hospital of this institute. General Nurse Midwife (GNM) Couse : School of nursing started in 1963 with intake of 12 students. Up to 1995, it was a 3 year, 9 month midwifery course.
Later it changed course as a 3yrs in 1996-2004. In 2005 curriculum has changed and the duration of course 3 years and internship 6 months under the guidance of Indian Nursing Council and Karnataka State Nursing Council. It is stipendiary course, each student get after submission of bond paper as per 1957 Note 2 Para G Rule 7 they receive Rs.1000/- per month for 3yrs 6 month.
Basic B.Sc Nursing (B.Sc Nsg) : It is started in 2008 with a intake of 20 students and in the next academic year 2009-10 the intake of student is 25.It is running successfully and first batch students has got 100% results out of which one distinction,16 first class and 3 second class.
Subscribe to the subject Vijayanagara Institute of Medical Sciences